Saturday, November 13, 2010

Pop Goes The Culture

Friday November 12th, 2010 - Somewhere At Sea

   Last week I chose to invest time and effort into reorganizing my offstage comedy work. It was something I’d been meaning to get to for years, but hadn’t. This week I’m going in a completely different direction. I’m catching up on pop culture and focusing on health.

   Those are turning into two major weakness areas whereas in the past they were big time strengths. Any good entertainer needs to have a fluent working knowledge of current pop culture, and I’ve fallen painfully behind in the last twenty years. All I can do now is patch up the major holes and try to fake my way through all the things I’ve ignored for so long.

   I’ve been working during prime time TV for all of my adult life. I suppose I could have kept up with shows I missed by taping them, but it was never that important to me. I don’t really care that I’ve never seen most network shows, but I’d be smart to go back and get a crash course in some of the more important ones. That’s available now more then ever.

   For example, I’m probably the only living American adult to have never seen even one episode of ‘The Sopranos’, but it’s true. I’m sure it’s a fantastic show, and I’m sure I will enjoy it. I just never had time to watch it when it was on the air. I didn’t want to just catch random episodes, so I avoided it altogether - until now. It’s time for me to finally enjoy it.

   I’ll have a lot of free time around the holidays and I’ll be stuck on a ship so that will be the perfect time to get caught up. I found a DVD of season 1 at a thrift store dirt cheap so that’s a start. I’m sure I can borrow the rest from someone, or I’ll buy them if I have to.

   The other focus this week is getting healthier. When I started in comedy, I was in great shape. I’ve never smoked or drank, and I rarely ate fast food . I was always a sports freak and played in all kinds of baseball and basketball leagues throughout my 20s. I loved it.

   Then, a week after my 30th birthday I had my infamous car accident and that’s when the pendulum swung. I basically had to learn how to walk all over again, and nothing was the same after that. I transitioned from exercising regularly like I had been to the world of all things lazy. Sugar, salt and lard became staples of my diet and it’s been down hill since.

   I’m not going to be able to change years of neglect and abuse overnight. All I’m looking to do is get a few weeks of positive steps going before I even measure myself. I know I’ve not done well in this department in years, so why start with measurements? I don’t care.

   I know I have to improve so that’s where I’m starting. I’m writing down everything I eat and drink, just so I can record my progress. I’ve failed countless times in the past because I never kept records when I wandered. I know it’s time to stop fooling myself and DO it.

   So far so good for this week, but a habit takes a lot longer than that. I have to flush out a lot of gook, gunk and sludge from my system and I hope I can before the big Fred Sanford chest grabber. I want to enjoy those Sopranos episodes I missed. I’m finally catching up.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: