Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Ready To Return

Tuesday November 30th, 2010 - Grand Cayman, Island

   So far, everything I’ve heard told about cruise ship gigs and the life that goes along with them has rung true 100% - both good and bad. Eventually, everyone has to make a choice as to whether the steady pay is worth enduring the downside, and I still haven’t decided.

   Steady work is an upside, as is the fact that comedy is the hot commodity on ships right now. That could change at any moment, but for now there’s a demand and I can fill it. It’s one of the few places where comedy seems to be hot, but eventually that’ll burn out too.

   Timing is everything in life, but especially show business. I think I missed a chance at a lot of opportunities over the years because my timing has been horrific. Also, I’ve had an extra high number of obstacles to dodge along the way. Nobody cares, but that took a lot of energy and focus away in years I now know realize were my prime. That’s how it goes.

   No time for whining now. I have to make something happen, and there has to be a sense of urgency from me or I can get lost and drift away on the ships. That’s one of the downer points I’ve heard, and I see it’s completely true. The ships aren’t anywhere near whatever mainstream is, and it’s easy to get lost and forgotten very quickly. I’m almost there now.

   ‘Mainstream’ can have many meanings, but I’m talking about solid comedy club rooms. Zanies in Chicago would be one, and there are precious few others remaining. Towns that used to be hot comedy towns now have barely one strong club remaining. Boston, Seattle, Minneapolis and San Francisco are good examples, and I don’t work any of those towns.

   The Improvs and Funny Bones are probably the strongest comedy club chains that still remain, and I don’t work either one. I’m ‘in’ with the booker of the Funny Bones, but I’ve not contacted him in years because it’s nearly impossible to get him on the phone to book any dates. Everyone and their grandmother wants to work there, and I’m nothing special.

   That’s just a fact, even though it‘s very painful to have to say. After a lifetime of paying incredibly steep dues and working my ass off to learn my craft and sacrificing a whole lot more than I thought I’d have to, I’m still just a journeyman road dog after all that effort.

   Can that change overnight? That’s hard to say. Mass recognition would do it, but how? I thought getting on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson would open up doors. It did indirectly get me the cruise ship gigs, and I’m thankful for those no matter what happens.

   BUT - I’m not rich, famous or even close to being satisfied yet. Not by a long shot. I’ve still got no real solid ground to stand on in show business and haven’t proven myself in a situation where money is on the line. That’s what real success is, being able to draw cash.

   These are all things I need to be thinking about, even more so as I’m out at sea and gone from the mainstream circuit I guess I was never really on now that I think of it. I was only on the outskirts of it. Now I’m even farther away than that, but at least I’m getting paid.

   This is my last day out for a week, and I couldn’t be more delighted to be flying back to Chicago. I don’t care if it’s fifty below up there, I’ll deal with it. I’ve had a decent run this time, actually more than decent. I knocked out a huge chunk of off stage work and had as consistently a solid week of shows as I’ve ever had. I’m starting to get stronger on stage.

   Last night all three shows were outstanding, even the midnight show which really took me by surprise. They looked young and cocky but they were a delightful group. I actually stayed on a few minutes longer with the permission of the manager because I was having such a good time. We all were. They loved me, I loved them, and that‘s when it‘s a blast.

   I’ve really been putting major effort into expanding my material base. I’m adding jokes and bits and talking about new premises I’ve rarely if ever talked about before, only to be broadening my horizons for future work. I have no idea how long this run will last, and if I’m going to stay fresh as a performer I have to add fresh material. I’m doing it correctly.

   Thankfully, I’m getting some work offers on land for the new year. Keith Stubbs asked me to come back to Wiseguys in Salt Lake City, and that’s always one of my very favorite places onstage and off. Keith is great to work with and the staff and crowds are laid back. I figured out the whole Utah/Mormon thing years ago, and after that the shows are easy.

   I also made contact with The Comedy Cave in Calgary. I love working up there, and I’d love to go back in 2011. The owner Jack and comedian Terry Hollas run a great club, and I really enjoy Calgary as a city. It’s a oil boom town, and Canada’s version of the wild oil days of Houston in the 80s. Boom and growth are everywhere, and I can’t wait to return.

   Tom Sobel offered me a nice little three night run in February, and that will be a shot in the financial arm no matter what happens with the ships. I always know Zanies will throw some work my way, and I’ve got a week coming up for them in Vernon Hills in a couple of weeks. I’m there December 16-18. If you email me I’ll gladly get you in if you’d like.

   The work is not slowing down any time soon, if anything it’s speeding up. It feels great to have a few bucks as a financial cushion, but that could evaporate in about five seconds or less. I’m not going to start coasting and not put forth my due diligence. That’s not what life is about, and I wouldn’t want to live that way anyway. I want to keep things growing.

   I have shows this weekend in Quincy, IL on Friday and Tomah, WI on Saturday. That’s a lot of driving, and I am in the process of trying to find available rental cars from O’Hare Airport, but it’s difficult because of the Holidays apparently. Prices are astronomical and I hope to be able to work it out with the help of Jim McHugh. He’s great at stuff like this.

   Life really feels like it’s evolving on a lot of levels. All my worldly possessions are in a storage area in Antioch, IL. My former car is now wrecked and I’ll have to begin another search to scrounge up another one. I’ve always been able to do it before, I don’t see why I can’t do it again now. I’ll have a week to get as much straightened out in Chicago as I can and then it’s right back out to the ships for more work. At least nobody can say I’m lazy.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: