Thursday, November 18, 2010

Two Days Or Else

Tuesday November 16th, 2010 - Lake Villa, IL

   Just once it would be refreshing to finally get something in reality the exact way I had it first pictured in my mind’s eye. There always seems to be a glitch or a catch, and I’m sick of it. However, those are the situations that can make the funniest of brutally cruel jokes.

   It’s like the guy who wants to lose 20 pounds, then gets his left leg cut off in a combine. Pounds gone, but not how he pictured. Another one is the guy with the shriveled arm who goes to Jesus and says “Lord, make my arm like the other.” And the other one shrivels up.

   There is a cruelty aspect to this world that can be funny as hell…but only if it isn’t you who stands in that path of destruction. I remember how my father used to dish out verbal abuse that could be absolutely hilarious when it was aimed at someone else, but when the wheel of insults came full circle (and it always did) it wasn’t nearly as funny anymore.

   I’ve been saying for months how I intend to “purge my life of a good portion of worldly possessions and live more efficiently” and I really meant it. I’ve done it before and it feels really good to both clean out clutter and donate merchandise to a charity who can use it to help those who really need it. What I didn’t intend, was to have to get it done in two days.

   That’s where I am though, like it or not. I had zero choice in the matter. I need to be out of my living quarters by tomorrow evening as I’m leaving for Belize and two solid weeks working on cruise ships. The people I rented from are already out, only my stuff remains.

   I dragged myself out of bed at 5am on the dot to hopefully squeeze every single second  out of every single minute I could, as I was on the tightest time schedule I’ve been on in a long time. I absolutely HAVE to be out by tomorrow, no excuses. This is the part of being an adult kids can never understand. Everyone has to shut up and do stuff, at least at times.

   Today was my time. I found a storage unit in Antioch, IL, 6.1 miles away on a map, but a whole lot farther in time because Highway 83 is under major construction. I got stuck at least four times in a one lane only nightmare, but what else could I do but wait it all out?

   I packed the storage spot with as much as I could humanly fit in it, but none of it was in any kind of real order. I had boxes and boxes of books, and more boxes and boxes of a lot of other junk that will eventually be out of my life forever. Some was valuable, at least to me, but a lot was just pure old fashioned junk that needs to be taken away and destroyed.

   No time for sorting though. Not today. I needed to get it all out of the house and into the storage bin and I’ll worry about it later. Actually, I won’t worry at all. If it burns or rots or even gets stolen, my life won’t end. Still, this is my stuff and I want to sort it when I can.

   Even if I give away most of the books, I want to make sure the right people get them. It wouldn’t feel right to just toss it all out and start over, even though looking at the piles of unorganized junk laying everywhere that sounds like a really good idea. That or a big fire.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: