Sunday, November 14, 2010

Shaking About Moving

Sunday November 14th, 2010 - Somewhere At Sea

   The second to last thing I wanted to have to do this week after receiving rectal surgery without anesthesia from a blind witch doctor with boney knuckles and a bad hangnail is having to move. I’ve learned to loathe moving, only because I’ve had to do it so much.

   I lost count of how many times I’ve moved about six times ago, even though I’m really not interested in knowing the exact number. Suffice to say it’s been a crap load, and that’s way too much. Stability as I get older would be great, but I have no way to predict if that will ever happen. Life keeps dealing cards and I keep playing them the best way I can.

   The mistake I keep making is allowing myself to keep acquiring physical clutter, which is always becomes a hassle when it comes time to move again. Most of it is books, which are very heavy when they’re put into boxes. One or two at a time are fine, but then I get a back log and it’s a major deal to move everything. That’s where I am now, and I dread it.

   Even if I end up getting rid of most of them, I’m still going to have to haul them away a box at a time. Do I put them into storage and fool myself into believing I’ll read them all, or do I take them to the used book store where I’ll get pennies on the dollar for a return?

   Most of them I got cheap enough or even given to me, but that’s not the point. I like to be able to have a choice of what to read, and on a given day I may want to look through a book I haven’t seen in a while. Too bad I guess, I’ll have to pick the ones I really want to keep and let the rest go. I haven’t even sorted through them all yet, but now it’s that time.

   The cosmos isn’t aligning to help me very much either. I get in very late tomorrow, and that blows any chance of getting a head start on anything. I won’t get home until midnight by the time I get my car back from Marc Schultz’s house and I’ll be beat when I do get in.

   Tuesday I’ll go through everything I have and decide what I’m going to keep. I’ll get rid of the rest, however I’m going to do it. I’ll donate some to Goodwill, throw some out, any friends that want to come over will be able to pick through what they might want and then I’ll find a storage place. I’ll pile all of what I’m keeping in the garage, and move it on out.

   Wednesday I’ll rent a small truck or van, and decide where it all goes. Hopefully I’ll get it all done without throwing my back out or popping a hamstring, and then I have the final comedy class session to teach at Harper College. I really enjoyed the class, but it’s hard to squeeze into my schedule with the ships. I don’t want to give anyone less than my best.

   Once again, everything in life is up in the air even farther than usual. Whatever kind of order or system my life may have had living where I was is now over. I need to settle into another place and do it all over again. I wish I had more time to work it out, but I don’t.

   Maybe this time I’ll learn my lesson and finally not keep saving so much junk. At least I got rid of my sports cards earlier this year. That would have made this a bigger nightmare.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: