Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Just Plane Stupid

Monday November 1st, 2010 - Miami, FL/Lake Villa, IL

   Another travel day. That’s what takes the major toll on a live entertainer, but I don’t see a way around it any time soon. What would work better instead, holograms? Recordings? A live show requires an act to be there, and that means travel becomes a part of the mix.

   I myself am mixed on it. On certain days, I can handle it. If all goes smoothly, I shut my pie hole and go with the flow of everything. But how often does EVERYTHING run like it’s supposed to? That’s the catch. On any given day, something’s going to go off track.

   That’s when the stress starts, and that’s what they pay us for. The shows themselves are the bait which keeps us coming back, but the travel becomes an obstacle course. I used to really enjoy it because I was seeing so many new places. Now, I just barely tolerate it all.

   The worst pain in the ass by far is airport security. What a joke. I can’t believe we have no better system in place for catching ‘terrorists’, than sticking an invasive cattle prod up the poop shoot of business travelers and grandparents. It’s all ‘random’, but have we ever seen a plane to Omaha get blown out of the air with a bazooka carried by a housewife?

   There has to be a better way. They have frequent flyer points for passengers, how about a similar one for security passage? If I passed safely through security ten times this month is it really necessary to make me strip down to my shorts and rifle through my luggage for five minutes looking for weapons grade plutonium or secret plans for a terrorist takeover?

   Airport security is the civil service of the law enforcement industry, and I have a disdain for those people stemming way back from childhood. As much as I loved my grandfather, he was a civil servant and a big proponent of it for his kids. Both my father and uncle had civil service jobs for years, and not one of them were ever happy, challenged or satisfied.

   I loved Gramps dearly, but he admitted at the end of his life there was a big hole in his soul for not chasing his show business dreams. Civil service was ‘safe’, but even then he got passed over for a big promotion he thought he should have gotten so he still got a bad deal and screwed over. He thought he was playing it safe, but in the long run he lost out.

   My father and uncle also fell for the lure of ‘safe’, and both of them were miserable for their whole working lives as well. They didn’t have the guts to start anything on their own and became two more piss ants in the big maze. I decided early I wasn’t going to do that.

   I know I shouldn’t look down at anyone, but I can’t help it. If someone settles in life for sitting in a toll booth or rummaging through my luggage at the airport, I have NO respect for that choice and I think deep down inside they’re basically losers. Maybe I’m wrong.

   There are exceptions to every rule, but not many. Look at the average wank who works in airport security. Who does it remind you of? Barney Fife’s cousin. Some halfwit with a tin badge spewing out commands for me to take my belt off. I for one think it’s all a joke.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: