Thursday, November 11, 2010

Causes And Cruises

Thursday November 11th, 2010 - Miami, FL

   Far too many overly serious topics are coming to the forefront at once lately, at least for my tastes, but they are. I want to focus on fun and funny and doing as much good with as much time as I have left on this cockeyed little space pebble for as many people as I can.

   Too many other heavy issues are getting in the way lately. Veterans Day is one. I never make jokes about that, and I’m eternally grateful for my American heritage and all that is included with it…BUT, the whole idea of war itself repulses me. I know blood was shed in many generations so that I could enjoy life on a scale that’s the best it’s been in history.

   That’s my complaint, I think it still rots in many ways. In my opinion, too many people don’t appreciate what we do have, and are taking down the rest of the country with them. In no way does that reflect on the brave soldiers who gave their lives - the ultimate price. They will have my never ending undying support. But why is war even necessary at all?

   I have a number of people I’m not fond of, even a few I really can’t stand. I know there are also people that think I’m a pure bred grade A polecat’s pecker. So be it. We disagree as humans on some things, that just goes with the territory. But really, is murdering each other over any of it really necessary? I for one don’t think so. I try to bypass all the idiots.

   Unfortunately, that doesn’t seem to have caught on in the mass population. Human kind seems to be rotten to the core, and eventually it comes down to a big ugly fight that takes it to a level it never needs to get to, and then bodies start piling up. It’s a bigger version of hearing “someone’s going to lose an eye” from childhood, but it’s not adult. It’s asinine.

   I’m not a daisy picking wackadoo and not realistic to think we don’t need to protect our families, but in the world I’d like to call home, we wouldn’t need a Veterans Day because all those people who bravely defended us with their lives would still be here to live theirs.

   I never forgot my grandmother talking about her family over in Germany who were hurt in World Wars I and II, and how it affected their lives after. They couldn’t farm properly and it made it very difficult to feed their families and they all suffered from it. She knew veterans on both sides of the ocean, just regular people trying to survive the snares of life.

   I personally don’t have one thing against anyone in Iraq, Afghanistan, or anywhere else. Unfortunately, all the wank poles I know live right here in America. I don’t like them, but I don’t plan on killing them either. I want to just live my life in peace and stay away from those who I choose to avoid. I think if we all really wanted that to happen, it would work.

   I know war makes money and infuses the economies of nations and blah blah blah, but I still don’t have to like it. And I don’t. I can’t say what I would have done if I’d been born in the Vietnam generation, which I almost was. Do I respect those who went? Absolutely. But what about those who didn’t? I can’t honestly say that I have an answer for that now, and I don’t know when I will. This is way deep and my head aches just thinking about it.

   I really think it all boils down to sincere respect and the good old reliable Golden Rule. I don’t care what anyone’s religious beliefs are, the Golden Rule is pure uncut 100% truth from not just the Earth, but the depths of the universe. It’s the most important rule of all.

   If we really respected each other, we’d find a way to avoid wiping each other out and be focused on how we can find solutions to these touchy areas. We’re all stuck on this planet for as long as we’re here. ALL of us. All colors, religions, sexual preferences, educational levels, whatever. Let’s find a way to at least let those who think similarly get to enjoy it.

   I don’t mind if someone chooses to be a Muslim, but don’t be telling me I can’t enjoy a nice greasy order of bacon in the morning if I feel like it. You don’t like it? Tough. But it shouldn’t get us to start burning each other’s flags over it, should it? I’m not that into it.

   This all makes perfect sense to me, but what do I know? I’ve got my own problems on a much smaller scale, but to me they’re every bit as large. Our own personal problems seem bigger than life because we’re so close to them. I have all I can handle with my own life.

   One other thing that’s a big deal is the whole Carnival cruise ship incident. I must have gotten 200 emails, texts and calls asking if it was me aboard that ship and wondering if I was going to survive. I’m totally flattered that many people care about me, but I have to say the public is completely misinformed on just how safe the whole cruise experience is. 

   I was guilty too, and I admit it. Until this summer, I’d never even seen a real live cruise ship up close and in person. WOW, what an impressive sight. I highly recommend that all the people who are so quick to point fingers and make fun see how well run and efficient these ships are, your tune will change immediately. I feel 1000% safe on a Carnival ship.

   I’m not just saying that because I work for them, but they’re the leaders of the industry and they have 23 ships in their fleet which sail completely safe and incident free each and every week of the year without issue. Yes, there was a glitch on ONE ship. Inconvenience maybe, but no lost lives. And, the company gave them all a fantastic compensation deal.

   Believe me, the Carnival people are focused on their passengers. If I screw up on stage, I’m out of a job. That’s a good thing, because it will keep me in line and force me to give my best product to the passengers who have come to know Carnival as a quality vacation.

   I think it’s totally unfair every news story starts with “Carnival cruise ship…” just as if someone choked on food and the news said “Wendy’s hamburger…” Things go wrong in the real world, and accidents happen. Even the space shuttle blew up. Twice. I wouldn’t ride on that, but I feel very safe on any Carnival ship. I’ve seen how well several are run.

     Flying is the same way. I’ve never been afraid to fly, ESPECIALLY after a crash. It’s a very sad fact of life, but in the jungle animals get eaten too. It’s a cruel world. If anything, now would be the perfect time to take a Carnival cruise. I’m sure it will be super safe way more than ever. Enough with this heavy stuff already. Time to lighten up and have fun.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: