Saturday, November 20, 2010

Less Of A Mess

Friday November 19th, 2010 - Cozumel, Mexico

   I knew I was getting old and out of shape, but not quite this bad. I’m in major pain, and lots of it. My entire body feels like one big collective bruise, and all I want to do is rot in a tub of Ben Gay for a week until I feel better. At least it’s the good pain though, the kind that signifies the fact I did some actual work. I over did it actually, but at least it’s done.

   I really learned my lesson from this experience, and the car wreck with it. I am not even close to living at a level of preparation for any incoming opportunities. My life was mixed up in piles of randomly strewn junk, and the worst case scenario happened and I was in an unfavorable position. I had too much clutter in my life and none of it was in useful order.

   That has to stop immediately. I think most people can live with a lot less than they think they can when it comes to physical possessions, and I’m going to set out to prove it right starting now. I never want to be in that position of having to move on short notice and not knowing what was where or why it was there in the first place. I’m on a mission to shrink.

   My grandfather, grandmother and father died and each one of them left a gigantic mess for everyone else to clean up. All that did was piss everyone off who had to clean through it, and I don’t want that to be me. When I croak, I want people to say “What? That’s IT?”

   A few clothes, a precious few books, some personal trinkets and my computer files. I’m fine with that, and couldn’t be happier to not leave anyone a mess to clean up. We’re all a temporary guest here anyway, and nobody really owns anything. We just use it for a time.

   Life is temporary, at least at this level and that’s clearer to me now than ever. I have yet another period of bonus time given to me for whatever reason and I’m going to go for the gusto and make it the very best I possibly can. I should really be dead many times over at this point, but I’m not. Maybe there’s a reason, and maybe it’s just plain old dumb luck.

   Whatever the case I’m choosing to keep learning and growing and improving on things I know I need to. If we’re here to learn, this has been an amazing life for me because I’m learning new things on a daily basis. I’m making good decisions that aren’t necessarily an easy one, and that’s something I’m delighted to be able to say. I didn’t take the easy road.

   My shows tonight were through the roof once more. I’m on the Carnival Legend and for some reason, the people here really get what I do. I’ve worked here before, and it was fun then. I’m glad I’m back, and actually have quite a bit of work coming up in a few weeks.

   If the company wants to make me a regular on this ship, I’m totally fine with it. I feel as if I fit here better than the other ships I’ve worked, and I can feel the people laughing hard here. They get it like the best club crowds, and if ships were all like this I’d never want to leave. I’m getting better at figuring out the audiences as well, but it’s still no guarantee of having every show go well. Sometimes they don’t, but not this week. Everything was the best of all worlds, and I’m going to settle in and let the next chapter of life reveal itself.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: