Friday, November 14, 2008

Crab Legs And Kidders

Thursday November 13th, 2008 - St. Charles, IL

The end of an era. Maybe. Tonight was our one year anniversary as Jerry’s Kidders on WLS and we celebrated by doing a live show at Zanies in St. Charles, IL. It was also our farewell performance as Jerry is off the air and it doesn’t look good for his quick return.

The whole night was bittersweet. Mostly sweet on the surface but the bitterness was in the mix too. There’s no way Jerry should have been taken off the air but it doesn’t matter. The damage is done. There was ONE lone idiot in New York who has zero programming experience who decided to pull the trigger and murder a successful show on a silly whim.

Does that pinhead feel guilty? I highly doubt it. He is probably on to other bloodletting and hasn’t given Jerry or his family a second thought. It’s inhuman and that’s what really made this whole thing so sad. We were starting to connect with listeners and it was on the cusp of being something to be proud of. Tonight we had a healthy turnout and it was fun.

Jerry called me this afternoon and after talking with Ken Sevara and Tim Slagle he said since we were doing the show he would show up in support since we supported him for a whole year by going into Chicago at our own expense to do our weekly bit on his show. It always feels awkward to show up after getting fired in radio but I‘ve had to do it myself.

I’m glad he decided to show up though and I picked him up on my way to meet my old grade school friend Tom Orlando for dinner. Tom and I meet up for dinner whenever I am in St. Charles and tonight was the night. Jerry went to the club to meet with Tim and Ken and Tom and I went to our favorite restaurant which is right on Route 64 in St. Charles.

It’s a great place that has upper end steaks and prime rib and THE most delicious giant Alaskan king crab legs I’ve ever had. It looks like the ribs the waitress brings Fred at the end of every Flintstones episode. These things must be on steroids but they’re delicious.

Tom had his usual prime rib and I had my usual crab legs and butter and it wouldn’t be a surprise at all if my heart stops before morning. I know I should eat better and all of that whole wheat salad bar veggie plate hoo-hah but DAMN that plate of crab legs was good.

Tom is a great guy and very funny and one of my favorite people. He’s real and doesn’t hold back on what he feels and always has a great new story or five to share about all his latest adventures. He’s a sharp businessman and very successful and I couldn’t be happier for him. He’s earned everything he’s gotten and I’m just glad to hang out and laugh a lot.

The show at Zanies tonight was very strong. There was a hot crowd and Jerry was there and his listeners got to meet him and we hung out afterward as a group for one more time. We should all be on the air somewhere and that’s when the sadness set in. This wasn’t the fault of anyone other than some goof bag bean counter in New York and some last gasp at a career by a nontalent has been like Mancow Mauler. He bought his way on the air but it won’t change the fact that Jerry’s Kidders had a year of fun on WLS and we kicked ass.

No comments: