Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Packer-Proof For A Day

Monday November 24th, 2008 - Chicago, IL

Call a doctor. I think something’s wrong with me. The Green Bay Packers got stomped on like grapes in a tub and I don’t really care. I watched parts of the game between acts as I hosted the Rising Star Showcase at Zanies in Chicago tonight and I didn’t blow a gasket like I usually would in this situation. I just saw it for what it was - a crappy football game.

Either I’m starting to die inside or I really am changing for the better. I used to be upset if the Packers lost, especially like they did tonight. They got embarrassed, spanked, blown out and torched - all in the same night. John McCain put up a better fight two weeks ago.

I really hope I can keep this mindset going because it’s amazing. I know I am prone to a few low spots and I’m sure I’ll get a few more if I’m lucky to keep living but to be over a lifelong Packer addiction would really free up a few extra brain cells for useful pursuits.

I’ve always known it was stupid to waste energy fawning over a bunch of steroid taking millionaires who care about it way less than I do but I couldn’t help myself. It was a habit I’d acquired in childhood and no matter how hard I tried I couldn’t break it’s iron grip no matter how hard I tried. Now for whatever reason I just looked at the game with apathy.

Sure, I’d like it if they won but since they didn’t I just finished the show and didn’t let it cross my mind again. I had enough to focus on with that. The audience tonight was a very large and very young and a very stiff bunch I had to do my best to whip into shape. It’s no fun doing that but that’s why they pay me. If anyone can get them going it would be me.

I’m not saying that to brag but I’ve probably been through more of these kinds of shows than most other comics. I know how to get the audience ready for the next act and it took all the energy and experience I have to pull it off. They just weren’t buying anything at all and everyone had to work extra hard. It’s just one of those nights and everyone has them.

One of the people on the showcase was my former student Vince Carone. I have spoken of him before but I haven’t seen him perform in a while. Even though the audience was a bunch of cadaveristic stiffs and didn’t want to laugh at anything Vince brought some heat.

He gave it all he had for ten minutes and he’s got some funny newer material I haven’t heard. The crowd didn’t immediately take to him or his material but he stayed with it for his whole set and ended up beating a few laughs out of them. I’ve done that a few times.

I’m really proud of Vince and his development. He was a hungry naïve kid of about 19 when he took the classes but now he’s 25 and really settling into his stride nicely. He’s a good guy and thinks funny and looks good on stage and TV too. He’s going to hit it big.

What exactly ‘big’ is I don’t know right now but he’s already WAY farther than I ever was at 25. Hell, he’s almost farther than me now. But that’s ok. I am very happy for him because I know he won’t abuse his good fortune when it comes. I’m glad I could help.

No comments: