Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Karma Training

Monday November 3rd, 2008 - Chicago, IL

Choo choo CHOOOO! The radio karma train stopped at the Loop in Chicago today and dropped off a load of pink slips. Sorry to say but I’m not sad to hear about it. A couple of those toasted today were there when I was and were less than sympathetic when we got it.

One of them was a smug little punk who wore mousse in his hair and always had to get the latest trendy clothes and eye glasses and hang out at the hip night clubs. He was quite the operator and was in his twenties and looked at all of us as old farts who had no worth.

He knew we were in the line of fire when the new company took over and proceeded to just ignore us for the rest of our tenure. When we did get the news of our bloody demise (the week before Christmas no less) he came to our office with a cocky attitude while we were cleaning out our desks and said ‘Hey guys - sometimes things happen for a reason.’

There was something about the way he said it that froze my partners Spike and Max and me too right in midair. He strutted away in his little metrosexual pants that cost too much and we never saw him again. Then we read a few weeks later how the new company liked him so much they made him promotions director of both stations and fired his coworker.

It took four years for the karma train to show up but today it did and there was finally an ounce of payback for someone who deserved it. Maybe that’s the wrong attitude and it’s a long time ago but to hear he got blown out did put a little grin on my lips for a whole day.

I’ve already had to move on and keep slugging and I don’t feel that pain so closely right now. Yes it still hurts when I think about it but the amputation stump has healed over. I’m not bleeding all over the place the week before Christmas trying to find a way to survive.

This goofus maximus is now going through all that and I’m quite sure he had become a slave to fashion and accustomed to the finer things in life. He got a kick right in his $400 Louis Vitton designer pants and it’s got to hurt a lot more than when I got my kick in the jeans I bought at the thrift store irregular leprosy discount half off scratch and dent bin.

I can’t say I wish the guy bad but I also can’t say it saddened me to hear he got gassed. I am human and those are feelings humans have. If Mancow got permanent laryngitis or the pink slip Jerry Agar got I wouldn’t be sad about that either. How about some JUSTICE?

Radio is radio and it doesn’t look like that will change any time soon. I think the best of that world would be to be a guest on as many shows as possible like I’m doing and enjoy the fun part. Being on the air and riffing is great. Dealing with the musical chairs is not.

I’ve got a lot of things brewing right now and rejoicing in the firing of a weasely punk a long time ago isn’t what I need to be focusing on. It was an unexpected treat to read about I’ll admit but now it’s over. He’ll have to dig out of his wreckage just like Spike and Max and I did and still are four years later. It’s not fun for anyone. Radio is a cold task master.

No comments: