Monday, November 10, 2008

Moonbeams And Stardust

Sunday November 9th, 2008 - Kenosha, WI/Lake Villa, IL

Today was a day to forget. So I will. Nothing was firing properly no matter how hard I tried and I didn’t really try that hard in the first place. I slept too much, the Packers lost to the hated Minnesota Vikqueens and we had a horrible radio show on WLIP in Kenosha.

Days like this happen to everyone and today it was my turn. I’ve been in a good groove lately so I won’t let it bother me but I won’t dwell on it either. Shake it off. Move ahead. It’s when this kind of vibe lingers is when it’s bad for morale but I don’t think this will.

The Packers were bound to have an off year and this is turning out to be it. I didn’t get to watch the game because it wasn’t on in the Chicago market so that’s a positive. I guess I could have listened to it on the radio but I knew it was an off day and something told me to just go about my other business today and let this one go. I wouldn’t have enjoyed this.

My other ‘business’ didn’t get done either. I can see my desk piling up again and I have a growing pile of calls and emails to return and I could have put a nice dent in all of those piles today but I just didn’t. Did I take my nice long walk to get exercise? I won’t lie. NO.

The radio show just wasn’t happening tonight. We had a guest back out at the very last minute and that happens but we didn’t have much of a plan B. My partner Scott has been really on the ball with this and he did his best to find a replacement but it just wasn’t on a par of the shows we’ve been doing lately. This was a good lesson on how to be prepared.

Scott is not liking his new job and he was in a bad mood and our other host Lara wasn’t on point and I was off and we had no guest for half the show. That’s no recipe for a stellar radio broadcast and we plowed through it the best we could and were glad when it ended.

The good thing is we all just knew this wasn’t where we are and how we do it and we’ll come back next week and get back to our old selves. This was a blip on the radar. A freak of nature. A fluke. Whatever biorhythms were hanging out today were not in our corner.

There has to be something to all of that somehow. I’m usually not one to believe in that ‘moonbeams and stardust’ stuff like my grandpa used to call it but today had a vibe to it. I could really feel it and I don’t want to blame all my problems on a thing like that but I did get a feeling all day like I was fighting the tide rather than riding it. I’m just glad it’s over.

Was there a full moon today? I didn’t see one but then again I didn’t look. I drove home from the radio station thinking about the coming week. I have a lot of things I want to get done and get back to the good groove I have been in for the last little while. That’s what I want the majority of my life to be and as of late it has been. Today was a one day slump.

The key to success is what I do tomorrow and the next day and the next day after that. If I let today drag me down and blow tomorrow then I’m in a rut. I don’t need that. I need to get up tomorrow and get to work on becoming the King of Uranus. My throne is vacant.

No comments: