Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Thank You Gramps

Tuesday November 18th, 2008 - Chicago, IL

I often speak of how wonderful I think my grandfather was and I mean every word of it. If it weren’t for him and his guidance in raising me I would be dead or in prison for sure. I still almost ended up both of those even with his help but I’m not and I have him to thank.

He was born on this day in 1912 and as long as I’m alive November 18th of every year is going to be my own personal holiday just as it will be on November 22nd which is Rodney Dangerfield’s birthday. Rodney was a professional hero but Gramps was my father figure.

As I look back on it now I see him for his greatness despite his faults. He was without a doubt a dented can and part of that stopped him from chasing the big dreams of his life. It never occurred to me then but I know now that he was a small time hustler. He never had the stones to pull the trigger on the big one and I think he regretted that to the bitter end.

He had his reasons for doing what he did and I wasn’t a part of his life until he was way past his spunky youth. He was 52 when he and my grandmother started raising me when I was abandoned by my parents who were getting an ugly divorce. Gramps often told me in later years he always felt like he owed me something because of the bad start I got in life.

He said he knew my father was lost and would never come around to the good side but I was a fresh baby and might have a chance if he took some time and helped me learn about life. He and my grandmother were having problems themselves but apparently I was what the doctor ordered because I kept them together a few more years while they raised me.

Gramps was just the best. He never once treated me like a child. He always talked to me like an adult even from my earliest memories of him even though I always remember that I called him ‘Gramps’. Always. Never ‘Grandpa’. He was a Gramps and always will be. If I had my way I’d play him in a sitcom. I know I could nail his character. It was so unique.

He would take me for walks and tell me about life as he made me laugh incessantly. His sense of humor was pretty corny on a certain level but his wit and wisdom were sharp as a straight razor. He was no B.S. and didn’t pull any punches and I love him for his honesty. He laid it out like it was and didn’t waste time with political correctness. He was dead on.

Those walks will always be with me and I know there’s a book of wisdom in all he took time to share with me then. I often refer back to something he said or did and it makes me either laugh or think and both of those are positive. I would give anything to see him now and show him how far I’ve come despite all the odds. I know he’d be beaming with pride.

I have some notes on the book I’d write about him because I’ve thought about writing it for years now. I took time today to organize it a little and put it in a file in my computer in a place where I can see it easily. He was a compiler of quotes and jokes and tidbits of info and trivia and just loved to learn. His wisdom was well thought out and it still helps me.

There would be nothing more I’d love than to finish that book in his honor. His wisdom is timeless and for the ages and I know many others could benefit from it too. I have a ton of other projects going now but this one would be my very favorite. It’s already written in the deepest most sacred place in my soul. Gramps wrote it there while he was raising me.

All I’d be doing would be repeating it like a parrot. He planted lessons inside me that he knew I wasn’t ready for then but they are beautiful blooming flowers now and I’m thrilled he took the time to plant them. I’d be in a lot worse shape if he didn’t. He knew he was an influence and he cherished the role. I just wish I could have had his guidance a bit longer.

Gramps died in December of 1981. I graduated in June of that year and he was gone by Christmas. He had cancer and the chemotherapy baked him like a meatloaf. Medicine has come WAY far since then and his last couple of years weren’t pleasant. I do remember us in his hospice room watching one last Packer game together. They beat the Saints 35-7.

The only positive influence of my childhood was gone and I was left to forge a life with whatever knowledge he gave me. That’s a tall order for a kid just out of high school but it was the hand I was dealt and that’s what I’ve played. I made some stupid mistakes just as all of us do but his wisdom and humor and strong presence in my life are still there today.

I remembered Gramps as I went to have a lunch with my friend Marc Schultz. He has a great tradition of organizing ‘showbiz lunches’ once or twice a year with local performers of all kinds and today was one of them. There were all kinds of people there from jugglers to ventriloquists to comedians to magicians and who knows what all. It was a total blast.

Jerry Agar showed up as did Ken Sevara and Tim Walkoe and we all sat at a table and I could barely eat because of the laughs flying back and forth. Another one who attended is a legendary magician named Marshall Brodien. Marshall is one of my all time favorites as a marketer because he used to sell magic sets on TV when I was a kid. I‘d bet he‘s rich.

I got to chit chat with him but a good friend of his is a magician named Ken Mate. I like Ken and met him through Marc Schultz. I told Ken about the Uranus project and he said I could meet up with Marshall at some point and maybe pick his brain a little. I’d love that. Today wasn’t the day for business talk though. We just all got together and laughed a lot.

Tonight I had a meeting with part of my new marketing team for comedy classes. I have some great former students and Kathy Romanowski is one of them. She’s amazing and is aching to get this project going. Rick Piccolo is a comedy lifer who has drifted in and out like many people do but he’s back in and wants to learn and also be around it. I love that.

My web person Shelley is also a former student and can help as will Kerri down there in Louisville at Tom Sobel’s office. I’ve got some great people lined up and now it’s my job to get them working in the same direction and delegate jobs to their strengths. I am loving the challenge and we had a very positive meeting tonight. I have a great vibe about all the people involved and 2009 could be a huge year. It’s about time. Happy Birthday Gramps!

No comments: