Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Pat McCurdy Is Great

Wednesday November 25th, 2008 - Milwaukee, WI

Sometimes my days just unfold out of nowhere. Today was one of them but it ended up being positive. I had to go to Milwaukee to get some banking stuff taken care of and I had to go to Wells Fargo bank to do it. I opened an account there back when I lived in Utah.

The only problem is there aren’t any in Illinois. Wisconsin has a few so whenever I find a need to make a transaction I drive up there and do it. I keep the account open because of convenience on the road. Sometimes it’s good to have an account at a bank especially for check cashing purposes when getting payment from clubs or venues. That’s why I do it.

I had planned on just shooting up and back but as I drove up I was listening to the radio and heard that Dan Needles was not in studio on the D List on ESPN Radio 540. I have a free ticket to walk in any time I want so I thought I’d head over and say hello to everyone.

Drew Olson is always very generous with mike time and I love hanging out with all the people at the station. The vibe is laid back and always a lot fun and sitting in Dan’s chair for today was Trenni Kusnierek. Trenni covered the Brewers and is very good at what she does. She just got a job with MLB Network and today was her last day before her move.

She is very competent and I can see why she got the gig. She was super nice off mike as well and to me that’s the sign of a really good person. Drew has always been outstanding and he surrounded himself with those kinds of people from Dan Needles to Trenni to Jon Greenberg from the Milwaukee Admirals to a whole list of others too. Drew is a winner.

I was just enjoying sitting in on the show and bantering back and forth when the door of the studio opened and in walked one Pat McCurdy. Pat is a Milwaukee music icon and he just drips with talent and charisma. If you haven’t seen Pat perform live make it a point.

Drew used to work for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and wrote a feature story on Pat years ago that was really well done. I had always heard of Pat but since I performed at the same time he did I didn’t get to see him. Drew suggested we all go to a Brewers game and that’s what we did. We all hit it off immediately and just hung out and talked about life.

I ended up telling Pat the infamous bank robbery story and he brought it up again in the studio this morning. We all went on the air and it was about as fun as radio gets. Since the Packers were drubbed on Monday it was very smart to bring Pat in for a feel good vibe.

I have always respected Pat McCurdy not only as a performer but as a hard worker and sharp businessman too. He hustles his ass off and works a circuit he created and I respect how he’s kept it going for years. I think he deserves the best and I’m a big fan always.

These are the kinds of times that make life truly fun. Hanging with Drew and Pat and to meet Trenni before she heads to the network was a huge boost in the feel good section of my psyche. I especially was glad to tell Pat McCurdy on the air how much I respect him.

No comments: